IS JAVA AN OPEN SOURCE OR NOT ? PART – 2
This blog explains about IS JAVA AN OPEN SOURCE OR NOT ? PART – 2 . It is illustrated very well below :
We have already discussed about this in the previous blog ” IS JAVA AN OPEN SOURCE OR NOT ? PART – 1 “
OPEN SOURCE SOFTWARE
What is open source software?
Open source software is software with source code that anyone can inspect, modify and enhance.
Open-Source Software Criteria
- Software redistribution
- Source code availability and integrity
- Distribution and properties of licenses
- Derived works
Is open source software free of charge?
Open source software is different. Moreover, some open source licenses stipulate that anyone who alters and shares a program with others must also share that program’s source code without charging a licensing fee for it.
Open-Source Software vs. Free Software
Although the terms are often used interchangeably, OSS is slightly different from free software. Both deal with the ability to download and modify software without restriction or charge. However, free software—a concept developed in the 1980s by an MIT computer science researcher, Richard Stallman—is defined by four freedoms are
- The freedom to run the program as you wish, for any purpose.
- The freedom to study how the program works, and change it so it does your computing as you wish. Access to the source code is a precondition for this.
- The freedom to redistribute copies so you can help your neighbor.
- The freedom to distribute copies of your modified versions to others.
Advantages of Open-Source Software
- Attract better talent
- Simple license management
Popular Types of Open-Source Software
- Mozilla’s Firefox web browser
- PHP scripting language
- Python programming language
- Apache HTTP web server
Popular Types of Free Source Software
- Microsoft Power point
- Microsoft Excel
KRITHIKA . J
References : IS JAVA AN OPEN SOURCE OR NOT ? PART – 1